Lewton-Rich Neighborhood Association Minutes
March 15, 2012
a. 23 persons
a. Recieved $25 in contribution last month
b. Current balance $339.02
5. Commissioner’s Report
a. Vic, is not running for running for reelection.
b. Looking at 2013’s budget.
c. Budget is about getting completing existing contracts.
d. Moving forward with a possible transition with Road Commission.
e. Question about Casino. County would on get normal revenue, and has no integral component in the arrangement.
6. Candidates to fill Joan Bauer’s empty seat.
a. Currently 4 candidates, all democrats.
b. Andy Schor, running
ii. Has been a county commission for last 10 years. And 15yrs with the state legislation.
c. Griffen Rivers, running to fill Joan Bauer’s empty seat.
ii. Live in Waverly Hills.
iii. Platform is public education and jobs.
iv. Came to Lansing in 1972.
v. Currently vice chair of 8th congressional district.
vi. Has never been indicted or grand jury.
7. Ingham County TRIAD, Nancy Bailey, RN, MSN
a. Non-Profit organization partnership with Ingham Country Law Enforcement Agencies, Senior Citizens and Community Members which promotes Elder quality of life through advocacy, assistance, education and training.
b. Focus on reducing Crimes and Violence on the elderly.
c. Be aware of your surroundings, and who is nearby, and where did you park.
d. Be careful with your body language.
i. Stand tall and walk with purpose. Don’t act clueless.
e. Sometime your just in the wrong place at the wrong time.
i. And hwo to get out of the area
f. Be LOAD and heard when something is happening to you.
i. Get help
i. Seniors are the largest population.
ii. And least likely to report.
1. Due to pride and fear,
2. By a family member
3. Fear of not being believed or institutionalized.
iii. Fraud and Scam’s
1. Check Fraud
2. Home Improvement
3. Security and Communities,
4. Telemarketing, Prizes and Sweep Stakes.
5. Bank Depletion by Care Giver or Family Member.
iv. Seniors want to talk to other.
v. Maybe there is dementia
h. Elder Abuse
i. Frequently hidden
ii. Often un reported
iii. 2 of 3 cases are by family members
iv. 50% are neglect.
v. 16% are physical, either threatening or actual pain or emotional
vi. 12% are financial crimes that happen without victims knowledge.
i. REPORT ABUSE of either yourself or to others.
j. Be active in Legislation
i. Annual Senior Prom in July, fund raiser.
ii. No Senior without persons, deliver gift baskets.
iii. Provide limited financial support for legal help and homes, meals on wheels.
l. P.O. Box 26182, Lansing, MI 48909
m. Non-emergency: 517-483-6680
i. 815 Marshall Street, Lansing, MI. 3rd Tuesday of Every month. 3-4pm.
1. Excluding July and December
o. New brochures and a web site are coming, in April.
8. Lansing Police, Sargent Traci Ruiz of Team 8
a. Always use 911 for emergencies.
b. Senior Prom
i. Formal event tentatively at the East Lansing Marriot, again.
ii. Big Deal with nice time to get out with Ball Room Dancing.
iii. Have lined up a professional dancers to give quick lessons.
iv. Should be between $20 to $25
v. Friday, July either 20th or 25th.
c. Just came back to the road in September
d. Trying to clean up apartment tower at south Washington.
i. Have had raids and contacted main office.
ii. It is lower income and was a nice complex. That has deteriorated.
e. Handling non-stop priority calls.
i. 315 MLK was shut down, and helped clean up team 8 and has been nice since.
ii. Biggest complaint is 2-5 parking and not getting nightly.
1. With restructuring, and LPD are address as many as possible.
2. Complaint are added to a list for patrol. When available.
f. Parking at Schools are a chronic problem, not just here or in Lansing.
i. It must be a School District thing that does layout.
g. Metro Bowl is being worked on.
h. Code Red on LPD web site.
9. Andy Kilpatrick, city engineering.
a. Moores River Drive Sea Wall
b. Is 42 years old and deteriating. Must be address in next 2 to 4 years.
c. Just City’s South Side.
d. Looking at options.
i. Repair and or replace 1.1-1.7M$
ii. Take out
1. Will not have enough space to leave boulevard.
2. Same number of lanes at Waverly section.
3. Embankment will take up exsitn lane.
4. And River Trail will be on Embankment.
5. Still studying turn lanes and other needs
iii. 3 lanes with a bike lane on each side.
iv. Looking for applying two grants from state.
e. From M along Waver and south
f. Future plans for north of river
g. General Questions and Answers.
10. City Council, Carol Wood
a. 2-5 parking
i. Homes turned into rental that did not have sufficient parking
ii. Ticket was only $7
iii. Proposed Concepts
1. Apply for Permit Parking, to exempt.
a. Would require notification
2. Removing the 2 to 5 period completely
3. Planning a future discussion on this subject is to come.
4. Narrow streets affect Emergency Access.
5. Supposed to meet with School Board and add Lewton
iv. Augie’s Met with owner and LPD and City Council.
1. His first complaint he had received.
2. Lease to own to two others. Others had been approached about issues.
3. July 11 to march 12, there has 57 police calls, 4 shots, 12 Filed Complaints
4. Agreed to a Memorandum of Service, an agreement of expectations.
a. Agreed close early on certain problem nights close bar early
b. 1 security per 20 persons at bar
c. Bar staff must have training.
d. Neighbors got his number.
e. Walked away with a road map to help neighbors and deal with
v. Metro Bowl, is own in receiver ship by bank
1. Will meet with attorney for bank and Manager.
2. Private party area, Bar Area, and bowling area.
3. Manager had previously agreed to wan and video events.
a. Night of shooting, wand was not working, and video was broken.
4. Have agreed to start a Memorandum of Service.
5. Past year, LPD
a. 63 calls
b. 6 weapons
c. 16 reports.
6. There are liquor violations.
vi. Both could lose liquor licenses.
1. City is required to prove that it is trying to work with establishments.
b. Next public safety meeting
i. About international premise code.
c. The Casino
i. Will be voted on by council next Monday.
ii. This is your chance to way in and send council your comments, etc…