Lewton-Rich Neighborhood Association
April 21, 2005
1. Welcome: The meeting was called to order at 7:00p.m.
3. Introductions: 16 people were present.
4. Minutes: Minutes were approved.
5. Treasurerís report: $227.95 (the check that had been out has been recovered.
6. Police Departmentís report: Police were unable to attend, but a matter was reported about a house on Woodview. The officer that went to the house went to other neighborís houses to alert them. The officer was Andy Toban, and we appreciate his extra effort. The suggestion was made to keep your eyes open, do not leave your garage doors open, and be alert. Another suggestion was to call LPD with ďsuspiciousĒ behavioróthe police are willing to hear these types of matters and will respond. ďSuspiciousĒ behaviors can include two kids on a bike, people sitting in a car for a long period of time. Another tip is to not leave your garage door open in your car in the driveway.
7. City Councilís report: Randy Williams was present. He talked about the 1910 Meat Co. City Council passed resolution to not allow them a liquor license. 2203 W. Holmes Rd. is the address and you can send a letter to the Liquor Control Commission, regarding an SDM permit. Some issues are neighborhood studies, and also that it would be the 4th business to sell liquor on that corner. It was suggested that the police send a letter to the liquor control commission. Also, the association will write a letter to block this. There will be a lot of budget meetings for the city coming up. People should be aware of what is happening and voice their opinions. As a cancer survivor, the relay for life is coming up, and they are trying to get the neighborhood associations to be involved. It is June 25 and 26, 10a.m. on the 25th, to 10:00a.m. on the 26th at Eastern High School. Yard signs are available, and you can make donations. The yard sign is $25.00. You can go online to cancer.org to make donations also. 367-6393 is Suzanne Williamsí phone number who can help give information about this. A motion was made to make a donation from the associationís treasury. The motion was carried.
8. County commissionerís report: Dale Copedge reported that the City would try to enhance the river trail by Hawk Island to the soccer field on Aurelius. He also discussed the proposed work on Okemos Rd .Vic Celentino could not be present tonight due to parent-teacher conferences.
9. Code Compliance Officerís Report: Greg Scrimger spoke about taking care of various issues around the neighborhood. A house on Bedford began work on the exterior; also a house on Victor began exterior work. He is also at work in a few other areas, including another house on Bedford. 483-7620 is Gregís number. If you have a concern about signs in yards, call Scott Sanford at 483-6946.
10. Michigan Senatorís Report: Joe McDonald was present. He announced that Virg Bernero has decided to run for mayor. He brought copies of the Citizenís guide to government for everyone present.
11. Neighborhood-N-Bloom: flowers have been ordered and are picked up on June 1 for D. Rich and Mayflower church. We are getting about 20 flats of flowers.
12. Public Comment: It was discussed that our attendance is sometimes very low. A suggestion was made to just make a few extra copies of the announcement and give it to a few neighbors.
a. The next item discussed was a neighborhood garage sale. A suggestion was made to piggyback to have it at the same time as Colonial Village, which is June 18th.
b. It was noted that we have a new hospitality person who will coordinate refreshments for the meetings.
c. May 26, Cristo Rey Catholic Church on Miller Rd. has a Fiesta (Friday, Saturday and Sunday). They have food, places to shop.
d. Alcohol Awareness Month event is Friday, April 22nd at Lansing Mall. There are displays by prevention and treatment professionals and also posters by 4-6th graders. There will be judging at 2:30 p.m. by celebrity judges, including Andy MacDonald, a skateboard champion.
e. Swiss Steak Supper, 4-7 p.m. at Faith United Methodist church on Saturday, April 23.
f. Kathie Dunbar reported that she is running for City Council at Large. There will be a fundraiser at A Complete rental on Mt. Hope on May 11, including a chocolate fountain and Bavarian cream puffs
g. The Taste of Lansing has been cancelled.
13. Comment on agenda items: There were no comments
15. Meeting was adjourned at 8:40 p.m.
Micki Fuhrman, Secretary